Friday, February 01, 2008

Worth it

Just before Christmas at a family party my Grandma got into a conversation with a woman who was quite interested in hearing about her stroke, which was 9 years ago. Wow, 9 years!? This woman's mother recently suffered a stroke and the woman was looking for insight into how to help her mother cope, what helped, what didn't, how long recovery took. I listened in for a few minutes while Grandma described some of things she went through, her rehabilitation and some her feelings throughout. I also heard her telling her about the apartment she moved to about 3(?) years ago. I didn't have a great seat and couldn't hear well so I ended up drifting to another conversation.

The next day Grandma told us about her conversation with the woman at the party. She said that she was a valuable source of information for this woman, that she has lived through the things that the woman's mother is just beginning to try to adjust to. What really surprised me is that for the first time Grandma told us how she recommended an apartment like hers. She told the woman about the social aspect, how it took her a little while to get involved but now she is very happy to be there. When Grandma was moved from Mom's house to the apartment I was sad, scared, a little mad. Definitely not excited or happy. I wanted Grandma to be comfortable and happy and I thought this big huge change was going to make her anything but those things. Turns out that she is very comfortable and very happy at the apartment. Wicked. I love that things turned out this way. The score for change is now 1,098,124. When will I learn?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home